Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Greetings from Dallas!

Summer has arrived and with it the heat! We have had such a lovely spring with lots of rain, but sadly, I think that has come to an end.

I wanted to let you know what I have been up to. I have spent my time learning about the Human Trafficking issue, and all about running a safe house. A few of the things I have become involved with:

* I have submitted the application for my non profit. It will be called Refuge City after the dream that the Lord gave me.

* High Risk Task Force. I am part of the first Dallas High Risk Task Force, specifically in the area of Court Advocacy. Most of the time when the kids go to court they go alone. Imagine being a child and there is no one to even sit with you, let alone help you! One of the Lawyers involved is letting us sit in on some Court Proceedings and then will explain the system and how it all works.

* I attended the first ever Safehouse Development Conference in Austin in May. I learned so much and came home overwhelmed! :-)

* I received two certification this last month. One is for Licensing, and the other for Safehouse Development.

* I also attended a Government Regulatory meeting on Safehouse Development and came home with a 350 page licensing regulation manual. Riveting reading!!

* I will be training in Fort Worth to take material in to speak to the girls at Letot, which is the juvenile detention center here in Dallas. It will be a chance to begin to work with the girls who will be coming to the safehouse.

* I will be in Houston on the 17 - 18 training to use a curriculum called Hands that Heal. It is the curriculum that most of the houses will be using. I want to see if it is what I want to use.

* I am applying to take part in an Organizational Mentorship Program. It is sponsored by one of the few faith based children's house in the nation.

* I plan to go to Palestine Tx this month to visit the house in Texas that is closest to being opened.

* I am trying to go to Abilene, TX to visit a house that is similar in nature, though not for trafficked kids.

* I met with a Police Officer in Red Oak who gave me some good insight on the penal side of trafficking.

* I attended a Trafficking Workshop put on by Salvation Army in Ft. Worth

* I will be involved in a webinar about Understanding the Sexual Exploitation of America's Children

I have continued to do the Barrymore Outreach, and it has continued to be amazing. I also am working with the boys at YWAM Dallas, in their daily lives. We got Robert in for braces this month which is a big thing for him. Jose is next. Juan graduated from College and we had a big party for him. Next George and Jose will graduate on the 11th of June. It is a huge thing, and also will be followed by a party. We are so proud of these boys, and their accomplishments. David has poured his life in to them, and this is the fruit. I have continued teaching ESL to the Karen Ladies. We had a big "Coffee House" to end it, as they will be taking off in the summer.

I will send some pictures of the outreach in a few days.

Prayer needs:
That the non profit will be approved quickly and as is.
That the Lord will begin to bring in the funding that is needed.
Great volunteers and workers!
We will need a very large house with at least six bedrooms!
That I can get licensed.
Protection and covering. Trafficking is dark.

Your love, prayers and support mean everything. We can change lives together.

Barbara


No comments: